What is the best smartwatch for teenager without phone ? We live in a modern world where technology, the internet and the digital era are rapidly changing the way we live. Just think about it: most of the people nowadays could not even imagine their daily lives without their smartphones. But the fact is, as you most certainly know, that about 30 or 40 years ago, smartphones didn’t even exist and cellphones were just beginning to show up.
Even though we are getting used to having technology occupy a significant part of our lives, there are still some areas in which we are not sure about how to proceed when considering digital devices. Here I’m referring to decisions such as when to give your children their first smartphone. If you’re over 30 years old, chances are you didn’t own a cell phone till your teenage years. But, as I’ve been mentioning, times are changing and the ongoing advances of technology are transforming the ways in which we connect. And it’s not only the technological progress which transforms our times. The changes in our culture and society are also impacting in the way we relate to technology. This way, nowadays you can find parents who give their children their first smartphone at a very young age, and you can also find kids who express their desire to own a smartphone because they see that their friends have one.
If you find yourself immersed in the dilemma of whether or not to buy a smartphone for your kid, then the alternative that I will show you in this article may be very helpful for you. If you want your kid to stay safe and connected but you don’t want him to be exposed to the risks of internet and social media, then a smartwatch can be the option you were looking for.
¿What’s the difference between giving your kid a smartwatch or a smartphone?
The main reason I think most people take into account when thinking about choosing a smartwatch over a smartphone as the first technological device for your teenage kid is that the smartwatch has all the functionalities and key features that you may find important in a smartphone, but without the risks of internet and social media related to cyberbullying, grooming, content which is not suitable for kids, etc.
Even though it is well known that nowadays many websites, devices and social media platforms have incorporated parental control measurements, this, of course, does not guarantee that the risks are null. In this sense, giving your teenage kid a smartphone is giving him access to the internet, all sorts of apps, social media platforms, games and more. If on the other hand you choose a smartwatch for teenager without phone, you’ll find that you will be able to stay connected with your child and at the same time spare the risks of the internet. When kids are young, it’s especially important to keep them safe from the online risks. That’s why a smartwatch can be an amazing option to choose as the first electronic device for your kid.
A smartwatch for children allows them to stay connected by text or phone calls, track their location, entertain them with games, set alarms and reminders, and many more. And what it does spare is the connection to the internet, social media and apps. This way, you can stay connected to your kid, start introducing him to technology devices and keeping him safe from the internet risks.
The main features of a smartwatch for teenager without phone
There are some specific and particular features and characteristics that you may want to consider when choosing the best smartwatch for your teenage kid. Broadly speaking, location and communication are the main features which most parents value when choosing their kid’s first electronic device.
- Location: being able to track location is one of the main reasons why many parents choose to give an electronic device to their young children, so a GPS function is something that you should consider when looking for a smartwatch for teenagers without phones.
- Communication: the smartwatch can replace this key function of smartphones. There are some which allow communications via text messages, and others which offer the possibility to communicate with both text messages and phone calls.
- Entertainment: especially for young children, electronic devices can also be an important means of entertainment. In this sense, some smartwatches offer several types of games for kids, such as smartphones do. It’s true that a smartphone has the possibility of accessing a much larger number of games and entertainment apps, but this does not mean that smartwatches cannot be just as fun.
- Battery life: you wouldn’t want your child to run out of battery quickly, because this would of course mean that the whole point of the smartwatch is lost. Therefore, I strongly recommend you to consider the battery life when choosing a smartwatch for your teenage kid. Go for devices which offer an efficient battery life and which don’t require to be charged all the time.
- Style: the style, color and design of the smartwatch will surely be very important for your child. Luckily, the market nowadays offers a wide range of different styles and designs, so I’m sure that you will definitely find a smartwatch which suits the style of your kid. All in all, be sure to take into consideration your child’s taste when making a decision on which smartwatch to purchase.
The 5 best smartwatches for your teen kid
Now that you have more details and information on smartwatches, I’ll show you 5 of the best options available in the market. I’m certain that you’ll find that each one of these options is excellent, and that you will be able to discover a smartwatch which suits your needs and requirements. Whether you prioritize communication, location tracking, entertainment or design, these options which I present to you below will not let you nor your kid down.
1. Samsung Galaxy Watch 3: the popular multinational Corean company Samsung has its own line of smartwatches which are excellent choices for your kids. Here I present you the classic Galaxy Watch 3.
- Excellent battery life
- Several colors to choose from
- You can choose between LTE connectivity of Wi-fi/Bluetooth
- 4GB of internal storage
- Options to connect via text and phone calls
- Has GPS
- Price: around USD 230
2. Apple Watch Series 6: Apple is well known for its smartwatches and here I present you with one of its best options for teenagers.
- Stylish: several colors and strap options to choose from
- Bluetooth, 4G and Wi-Fi connectivity
- Has GPS included
- It includes several additional features: measures blood oxygen levels, tracks heartbeat, tracks menstrual cycle, tracks sleeping patterns, measures elevation, and more.
- The family setup is a very useful feature: it allows parents to configure the smartwatch for child usage.
- Has a battery which can last up to 24 hours
- Price: around USD 399
3. VTech KidiZoom Smartwatch DX2: VTech is a company from Hong Kong with over 40 years of experience and specialization in smart toys for children. Of course, it has its own line of smartwatches specially designed for children. I recommend this option if your kid is quite young, as it has a design that can be a bit childish for older teens and it’s more useful for fun, games and entertainment rather than communication.
- Superior battery life: can last up to 2 weeks
- No GPS
- No communication features
- Has a front and a back camera
- Has good storage capacity: 256 MB of internal memory
- Has lots of games, camera filters and entertainment features to have fun with
- Price: around USD 60
4. TicWatch Pro 4G/LTE: this smartwatch manufactured by the Chinese tech brand Mobvoi has many features and characteristics which make it a very solid and complete option to choose from.
- Connection via 4G/LTE
- Has a good battery life
- It includes several extra features: heart rate monitoring, sleep tracking, exercise tracking.
- Has GPS
- Communication is possible via text messages and phone calls
- Great performance and speed
- Price: around USD 200
5. Garmin Vivoactive 3 music: this innovative company which develops navigation products for automotive industry, aviation, sports, etc. is one of the best known companies for smartwatches.
- Has great music features. I recommend it especially if your kid is a music fan
- Includes extra features such as heart rate monitoring, physical activity monitoring, sleep monitoring, etc.
- Has GPS
- Has an excellent battery life
- Connectivity via Bluetooth
- Communication is possible via text messages
- Price: around USD 290
To sum up, as you can see from the information I provided to you in this article, a smartwatch for teenager without phone is definitely an amazing option if you’re looking into purchasing the first electronic device for your teenage kid and you don’t feel like it’s time to get him a smartphone yet. You’ll be able to stay connected, while at the same time keeping the child safe from the risks of the internet.