What is the best travel breast pump ?There is no doubt that having a child changes your life and your routines. Even if you already have children, if you are welcoming a new member to your family then this is, as well, something that has an impact on your life and your family’s.
This does not necessarily mean that you will have to stay home to take care of your newborn until he or she grows up. After the baby has arrived and everything is more settled, you will most probably start doing different activities and plans either with all your family or even by yourself or with friends, gradually and at your own pace. Going to the park, visiting friends, returning to your routines, and even going on a family trip are some examples of the activities I’m referring to.
And here is where many devices and instruments appear to make this process easier and more comfortable. Travel cots, special bags and purses, baby carriers, strollers and breast pumps are some of the things that you may want to purchase for this.
In this article I’m going to give you all the details you need to know about breast pumps. But not just any breast pumps: I will talk about travel breast pumps.
What’s the difference between a regular breast pump and a travel breast pump?
It’s likely that you have already heard about breast pumps, the mechanical devices especially designed for women to extract milk from their breasts during breastfeeding times. Many women use these devices when they start going back to work after their maternity leaves, and maybe even choose to use them because they stimulate the flow of milk.
There are many different types, models and designs of breast pumps: some are manual, some are electric, some are single and some double so you can use it on both your breasts simultaneously. But the fact is that, if you are planning on going on trips or getaways, with your family or alone, for some days or even weeks, then you should consider getting a breast pump which is designed for this particular purpose.
A travel breast pump has all the requirements and specificities you will need to carry it with you comfortably wherever you go. The main differences between travel breast pumps and regular breast pumps is that travel breast pumps are usually smaller, lighter and easier to operate than most regular breast pumps, and they tend to be charged with batteries rather than wires and plugs.
Why should you get a travel breast pump?
If you know that you want to travel or that you will have to travel during breastfeeding period and if you want to use breast pumps to accompany you and your baby in the process, then it’s important to choose a breast pump which is particularly designed for travelling. Of course you can choose any breast pump that you want, but I strongly recommend you to go for one which has specific qualities for carrying it around. To begin with, they are lighter in weight and smaller in size, to make the transportation easier. Many of them also have some low-noise features, which is very useful if you are staying in places with many other people, such as hotels. Travel breast pumps tend to operate with rechargeable batteries, so you don’t have to depend on plugs or wires. Some of them include the possibility of doing simple and double pumping, and even have the option of operating them manually or electrically, which can be a great plus because, if for any reason you run out of battery and can’t charge the breast pump, you can switch to manual operation.
All in all, getting a travel breast pump will help you make the whole breast pumping process easier, more comfortable and less stressful.
Tips to consider when choosing a travel breast pump
As I have mentioned, travel breast pumps have some specific and particular features which make them useful and suitable for carrying them around with you on your travels. So here I will mention some of the main tips to take into account when choosing a travel breast pump that will meet all your requirements and expectations.
- Weight: travelling and moving around can be quite annoying if you have a lot of weight on you. So, of course, you won’t want your breast pump to add a lot of heavy weight in your baggage. This is why it’s key to choose a model with a lightweight design.
- Size: aligned with the need of choosing a lightweight model, it’s also important to choose one which is compact and small. This will allow you to easily store it anywhere in your suitcase, backpack or purse.
- Noise: when travelling you might find yourself in many public places surrounded by a large amount of people, such as trains, buses, hotels, and more. If you want to make the breast pumping experience discrete, then you may want to choose a breast pump with low-noise features.
- Power source: generally speaking, breast pumps can be electric or manual. Among the electric ones, there are those which can be charged with batteries and others which work with plugs.
- Single or double: breast pumps can be either simple or double. The latter ones pump milk from both breasts simultaneously. When travelling, I recommend you to choose double pumps, because they are faster and more efficient, and it will be more comfortable for you if the process is done faster.
The best portable electric breast pump: 5 of the greatest options in the market
Now that you have more details and specific information about travel breast pumps, I’m going to show you 5 of the greatest options in the market, so you can get familiarized with each of them and choose the best one according to your requirements.
- Medela Pump InStyle MaxFlow
Medela is a very recognized brand for breast pumps and one of the most chosen by mothers everywhere. This breast pump model is one of the best options this company offers when looking into portable electric breast pumps.
- It works with an innovative vibration method to pump milk
- Compact and light
- Very easy to clean
- Includes a nice and practical bag to transport it
- It has a double pump technology
- It has a battery and a power adaptor included
- Price: around 200 USD
- Spectra 9 Plus
Spectra has developed this wonderful breast pump which is small, light and very comfortable and easy to transport.
- The suction strength is customizable
- It can be used as single and also as double pump
- Very compact and light
- Good battery life
- The battery is rechargeable.
- It also includes a power cord
- Price: around 152 USD
- Philips Avent Double Electric Breast Pump
Philips is recognized around the world as a company which develops high quality products for babies and mothers, and the Avent Double Electric Breast Pump is another example of this.
- Has adaptable silicon cushions which can adapt to any breast size
- Customizable settings to suit the breast pumping experience to your own requirements.
- It includes a comfortable and practical travel bag
- It includes a pump belt to do the pumping with hands free
- Light weight
- It’s asy to clean
- Price: around 270 USD
- Bellababy Pocket Double Electric Breast Pump
The Bellababy breast pump is comfortable and really easy to use, and a great option if you’re new into breastfeeding technology as it includes high-tech qualities.
- It includes several customizable pumping options
- High capacity battery, which is chargeable also via USB
- It jas a low-noise feature
- It has a massage cushion which makes the pumping soft and comfortable
- It includes 2 bottles for milk storage
- It’s light and easily portable
- Price: around 100 USD
- Ikare Electric Double Breast Pump
This double breast pump is very safe and easy to use and is manufactured with high quality hospital-grade material.
- Very compact and light
- It includes transporting bag
- Double pump for more efficient and fast breast pumping
- It has noise control technology
- It’s possible to customize the settings to adapt it to your preference
- It’s powered with rechargeable batteries
- Includes a manual kit to pump manually in case you run out of battery
- Price: around 80 USD
My main recommendation of the best portable breast pump for travel
When considering the options which I presented here, and taking into account the main features and characteristics that make travel breast pumps so useful, I believe that the best travel breast pump to purchase is definitely the Ikare Electric Double Breast Pump, and I will tell you why.
To begin with, this breast pump has the option of operating it electrically or manually, which makes it extremely versatile. When travelling, you never know where or how you might be when the need for breast pumping arises, so having these two different operating options is very helpful. This model also has noise control technology, which makes it discrete and quiet, and is light and compact. The double pump will make the process more efficient and fast.