Are you looking of the best hiking backpack for petite female? If you have been traveling solo for a long period of time, and you are petite, maybe you will know how hard it can be to find the right hiking backpack.
Women’s backpacks are one of the most significant investments for any woman who loves hiking. So, if you are that type of person that leaves out of a backpack for most of the year, and probably alone or without any help for carrying your stuff…. Then you need to research while investing.
Read more: best hiking backpack for overweight
This post has been created to help petite women find the best hiking backpack for their size, just everything related to the best backpacks for short people, like detailed reviews of the best backpacks for small women. To find the best travel/hiking backpack is important to consider a few things, so kindly avoid jumping in buying right away. There are many types of Backpacks available in the market… why? Each of them has been designed for a purpose!
Day hike backpacks for hiking and short treks, ultralight backpacks for long-term travel without much luggage, expedition packs that are heavier, contain metal support, thick hip belts, and other features designed for bigger trips, and so on.
Things that anybody needs to keep in mind before investing in a hiking backpack, especially if you have a specific need, such as being small. Remember: the torso is not your height; it is the portion of your body from the shoulder to your hip that needs to be measured. The length of the torso could be longer even if you are petite or shorter even if you are taller. That’s why it is essential to measure the length. Take the length of the portion from the end of your neck to the hipbone on the iliac crest.
Alone is not helpful as you will see that you need to consider other factors as below as well. It is a must check for the size of each of the backpacks first, in the same way, the size may not mean you will find it comfortable since most backpacks available in the market come in small and medium sizes.
For XS women, many bags in the small category might still be big, leaving them with limited options, taking them to the next point: What do you want your backpack for? Why are you going for a backpack and not any other luggage bag? Keeping in mind these questions, here you will find the best hiking backpacks on the market for small women.
Osprey Women Backpacks Under 25L.There are three series in Osprey Women Backpacks, that range from the 20 liters to 25 liters category: Sirrus, Tempest, and Mira. All of them have great quality. The best part? They all have Xtra Small Size options, making this model, the best one in each category.
Read more: Best North Face backpack
1. Gregory Deva 70 XS
Gregory is one of the best backpacks manufacturers, which makes backpacks specifically made for women. What is the difference with other brands? Most of them claim that their packs are for women, being only shorter versions of the men’s packs, and that is not the point!
Here are some of the women-specific features on Gregory packs:
- S-shaped shoulder straps to accommodate bust.
- Shorter torso.
- Hip belt angled to fit a woman’s steeper hips
- A bit on the heavy side, but the suspension system makes it feel like you are carrying less weight than you really are.
- The system, called Response A3 (Automatic Angle Adjust), causes the shoulder straps and hip belt to pivot. As you move, the pack will adjust to your torso angle. Everything about the suspension system is adjustable: shoulder hard-ness.
- Lumbar area, and hip belt. You can get the perfect fit regardless of your body type.
- As for organization, the Deva has 9 exterior pockets. Three of these are in the lid; three on the front of the pack, two in the hip belt, and one on each side of the pack. You can access gear from a top pocket or a large U-shaped front panel pocket.
- As 70L, the Deva is large enough for all your gear, including a bear canister. The max carry load is 50lbs, so enough for even long thru-hikes.
2. Osprey Tempest 20 Women’s Hiking Backpack
With the same features as the Tempest 9, but both with a bigger version, this type of backpack is recommended for 10 to 15-days long trips, and even more if you can recycle your clothes or don’t have to carry food or any hiking gear. Among the backpacks for small women, this is the perfect match for those who are starting in the outdoor universe.
The more recent additions in this category have been Mira, with two versions: MIRA 22L and MIRA 32L.
- Trekking pole attachments for hiking compatibility.
- Bike helmet attachment for use during mountain biking and cycling.
- Features small storage pockets and an exterior sleeve for a bulky item.
- The back and hip belt utilize mesh to increase ventilation.
- Hip belt and back are padded for extra comfort.
- The main compartment has an internal mesh pocket for small items.
- Two water bottle pockets and slots for a hydration bladder.
- Some issues with getting a good fit, with not being the most comfortable if you’re “longer” on terms of the osprey sizing scale. We recommend trying it
- Comes in two sizes but the pack feels small, and the hip belt may not close.
- If you tighten the shoulder straps, the hip belt might rise up too high.
- Might not be the most durable if you frequently travel through debris.
- If you don’t pack light, 20 liters may not be enough storage space for you, even for short day hikes.
3. ULA Circuit 68L
ULA is another brand that makes semi-customizable packs for long-distance hiking. Their Circuit pack is one of the all-time favorites for hikers. It has a massive capacity of 68 liters, with lots of useful features, yet still manages to weigh in at just 2lbs 9oz. You can even remove features to get the weight down to 2lbs 3oz.
The ULA Circuit frame uses a carbon fiber and Delfin suspension hoop, internal foam, and a single aluminum stay. The combination gives good back support and lets you carry up to 35lbs. On the other side, the pack is sturdy and does a good job of transferring ring load to your hips.
It’s possible to get a perfect fit with the Circuit because the torso length and hip belt size are customizable. The smallest pack is for kids and is good for torsos as small as 12” (note only the kid’s size torso is adjustable). All the other sizes have a fixed torso length. The shoulder straps are available in standard J-shape or S-shape, which is better for women, especially women with larger chests.
The main compartment of the Circuit has a 40L capacity. The 65L listed capacity includes the interior compartment plus the mesh stash pocket, side pockets, hip belt pockets, and extension collar.
- Ultra-light weight.
- Hand straps and water bottle bungees on shoulder straps.
- Big side pockets that easily fit my 2L Hydra-Paks.
- Big mesh pocket on the back with a bungee to hang stuff from.
- My total weight is likely to be over the suggested 30lbs rating.
- The hip belt doesn’t fit right and needs to be replaced.
- Only one way into the pack.
- No quick access pockets on the pack for stuff like headlamp, maps, and gloves.
- The padding is not super comfortable.
- The sternum strap irritates my chest when I get hot.
- Only a few extra attachment points on the outside.
4. Osprey Fairview 40 Women’s Travel Backpack
Another backpack similar on the lines of Fairview is the more recent Tempest series, and the 40L capacity is ideal for regular backpacking and lightweight multi-day trips. One of the few best backpacks for small women like us, some salient features like stow-on-the-go for placing hiking poles, bio stretch harness, and continuous wrap hip belt with a fiberglass frame that hugs your body.
Also, Osprey Tempest 40 comes with a Sleeping Bag Ac-cess, and you can also remove the top lid, which will then enable this backpack for carry-on luggage.
- Features high-quality materials and construction for long-lasting durability.
- The small day pack has a few pockets for storage of small gear items during shorter trips.
- Easy to unzip the entire main compartment for quick access to your belongings.
- The straps are comfortable for all-day use.
- You can tuck all of the straps away while storing the backpack or while traveling on a plane or a bus for ease-of-use.
- The pack does not contain any side pockets for storing small items of gear.
- The size and construction of the pack are a bit bulky when looking at the total liter capacity.
- The laptop sleeve is in the front of the pack, meaning it can be more easily damaged due to the placement of the device.
5. Osprey Packs Women’s Kyte 46 Backpack
Another among the top backpacks for small women is Osprey Kyte 46; The Osprey prides itself on the innovative suspension system, light wireframe, top-loading access, and a separate zippered sleeping bag compartment with external sleeping pad straps.
This dual style makes it perfect for an overnight backpack as well as a daypack. It is a bit bigger for petite women, and if you have a short torso, but not that you cannot handle.
- Rain cover.
6. Gregory Maven 35 Liter Women’s Lightweight Hiking
Backpack Gregory’s Maven series is known for its lightweight backpacks, and even in the 35L to 40L range, it does an exceedingly good job in that department thanks to the robust Aerolon suspension lightweight aluminum frame, that supports the load without adding to it. Some of the components are made of foam, which also makes this light like the ventilation system with breathable mesh.
The Gregory Maven 35 Liter women’s Lightweight Hiking Backpack is one of the most recommended backpacks for small women that anyone can manage for longer duration trips easily.
- Rain cover included.
- Very lightweight.
- New Aerolon suspension.
- Quick-stow feature on the shoulder strap for attaching glasses on the go.
- Adjustable harness.
- No side zippered pockets.
7. Granite Gear Blaze 60L Backpack
The blaze organizes to go the distance, comfortably, and trolley. It is perfect for small women’s backpacks. This AC frame lock fits your torso size. The Blaze pack of the frame combination patent-pending fully adjustable hip belt and molded foam back panel. This blaze pack comfortably carries up to 50 lbs.
- It is a high-quality fabric made of 210D Robic Nylon UHMWPE triple ripstop.
- There are a lot of pockets, and one main compartment holds all the gear.
- Including a removable shoulder strap and whistle buckle for safety
- This new blazer includes a removable lid compartment with a DWR-treated zipper.
- This zipper converts to an optional chest pack to carry on your front.
- Adaptable top lid.
- Low quality back panel ventilation.
8. Adidas Excel Backpack
One of the best backpacks for small women that use it every day for work, school, college. This Adidas excel pack has four outside pockets and a padded sleeve 15.5-inch laptop or tablet, internal organization. This Adidas excel pack is built with durable, stand-up wear-tear, 100% polyester lining fabric.
- It has three main compartments, two exterior zippered pockets, and one interior accessory pocket for all your necessities.
- A padded sleeve keeps a 15.5-inch laptop and tablet safe.
- The shoulder straps have great cushioning and comfort and offer a variety of compartments.
- Four zippered exterior compartments with sufficient storage space.
- External gear attachment loops at the front of the pack.
- Two expandable mesh side water bottle pockets.
- Effectiveness of shock absorbing shoulder straps may be limited if bag is over-packed.
- Carry handle is thin and does not offer any padding.
- Design of interior pockets is somewhat flimsy and can lead to tearing.